Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Life changed in 2006














On March 4, 2006 I found out that I was expecting our first baby! My joy that I felt that day can not be described. While Gregg and I were shopping at Walmart I led him over to the vitamin section and he was asking what I was doing. I soon found the Pregnancy Vitamins and he said "What do you need those for, to try and help you get pregnant?" I said "No, I need them because I am pregnant." He had the most shocked expression and didn't believe me. He said "Do ya think?" I said I had taken a test but he wanted me to get another one just to be sure. So I did and it too came out positive. We were both so excited. I had had a dream that it was a little girl but I really didn't think it meant that that is what it would be. In June we found out that it was a little girl and neither one of us were disappointed. We knew long before we found out what it was that if it was a girl we were going to name her Lily after his grandma Lillian and her middle name May after my great grandma Pearlie May. So Lily May it was and we couldn't wait for her to get here. Of course it being the first everything is so exciting and I especially enjoyed her movements. And she moved A LOT! I was due November 9,2006 and Gregg and I were really hoping to have a Halloween baby. Well on October 24 Gregg and I went on our usual walk that night and I started getting contractions which wasn't unusual because I had had them off and on for a while. But after a few hours of reading up in my room I realized they weren't stopping. So around 11 that night when Gregg came up for bed I told him I had been having these contractions and he said "Well let's do the 1 hour rule the Dr. told us to do." Well it had actually been a couple of hours but I decided to get up and move around and I then took a bath to see if they would go away. At 1:30 we headed to the hospital and went through the emergency doors since the hospital entrance was closed and headed back to labor and delivery. We told the nurses at the front desk " I THINK I'm in labor." Haha, it was all new to us and we had no idea really what to do. So they put us in an observation room and checked me and I was dialated 4cm. So they decided to wait and see what happens and an hour later I was dialated 5cm. It was the real thing. They had to wait a while to put me in a room because the labor department was so busy. So at around 6 that morning they moved me into my room and at 7 they checked me again and I was bordering on 8cm. It was a new nurse since it was morning and they had switched shifts. After checking me she said that she wasn't sure it was the head she was feeling and that the previous nurse that had been checking me was still there and so she was going to go and ask for her opinion. Well the previous nurse was oblivious I guess to it all and didn't really know so the new nurse called my Dr. and he said to get a radiologist in and perform an ultrasound ASAP. So down comes the radiologist and he says "Oh sure enough her head is up here and her knee is coming down." I have never felt such fear in my life and I look at Gregg and could see fear in his eyes too! Well it then got complete madness in my room as nurses are rushing in to stop contractions and get my health information and to put a catheter in and to rush me down to surgery. After having a C Section, Lily May was born at 9:27 AM and weighing in at 7lbs 3 oz and 23 inches long. WOW, it was an amazing experience. She is now almost 4 and I wonder daily what happened to my little newborn that turned our lives upside down.

No comments:

Post a Comment